[slime-devel] Re: contrib branch

Tobias C. Rittweiler tcr at freebits.de
Mon Aug 20 18:13:33 UTC 2007

Helmut Eller <heller at common-lisp.net> writes:

> Gentlemen,
>
> I've added a branch with tag "contrib" which contains my proposal to
> split up Slime.  Essentially it contains a new directory "contrib"
> with the fuzzy completion code.  To use fuzzy completion you have to
> add something like this to your .emacs:
>
>  (add-to-list 'load-path ".../slime/contrib/")
>  (add-hook 'slime-load-hook (lambda () (require 'slime-fuzzy)))
>
> After that everything should work as before.
>
> Unless we hit some show stopping problem, I'll merge that branch into
> the main trunk in the next few days.

I haven't had a chance to look at it, but I'd favor a smoother migration
than just throwing fuzzy completion out completely. Like binding
`slime-fuzzy-complete-symbol' to something that emits a warning, and
autoloads the fuzzy completion code. The warning should advise the user
that fuzzy completion is going to become optional and has to be loaded
explicitely.

  -T.