[slime-devel] Re: swank version check

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Thu Oct 26 15:09:33 UTC 2006

* Marco Baringer [2006-10-26 12:07+0200] writes:

> Marco Baringer <mb at bese.it> writes:
>
>> hi,
>>
>>   i'm thinking about adding a version check when connecting to a swank
>>   server to ensure that slime.el and swank.lisp are in-synch. this
>>   would remove the, admitedly rare, errors whan the two are out of
>>   synch (this can happen when running a local slime against a remote
>>   lisp or when swank has be built into the image and isn't reloaded
>>   each time the lisp is started). however this would require that
>>   everytime a change is commited people must remeber to update the
>>   version number. is this worth the overhead?
>
> what about just using the first line of ChangeLog? though this gets
> updated more often than the wire protocl changes it doesn't require
> any extra work on the part of slime contcributors. what's worse?
> spurious protocol mismatch errors or having to update slime too often?

We had implemented that for some time (around revision
swank.lisp:1.150), but Luke removed it.  Probably because it didn't
work so well.

It's a bit problematic to determine the proper filenames (at compile
time).  It also means that the source files should be recompiled after
updates to the ChangeLog, even if the source didn't change.  Our
loader uses the time-stamp of the ChangeLog for the fasl directory
name, so it recompiles automatically (at least the CL files).

I think that Emacs should ask how to continue on a version mismatch or
abort.  It wouldn't be worth to add version numbers just for another
warning.