[slime-devel] setup

Bill Clementson billclem at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 18:50:07 UTC 2006

Hi Jason,

On 10/18/06, Jason Thompson <jat at northwestern.edu> wrote:
> Having used Peter Seibel's LispBox, I finally
> decided to consolidate my programming environment
> and use Slime under my primary Emacs. I'm
> using Clisp 2.41 on a Windows XP machine
> and followed instructions on Bill Clementson's
> blog for the setup. However, when I attempt to
> start Slime with M-x slime, I get the error:
> Spawning child process: invalid argument.
> Is the problem obvious to anyone?
>

> if i try M-x slime-connect RET RET RET,
> the connection is refused.
>

> .emacs is as follows:
> (add-to-list 'load-path "C:/jat/site/slime")
> (require 'slime)
> (add-hook 'lisp-mode-hook (lambda () (slime-mode t)))
> (add-hook 'inferior-lisp-mode-hook (lambda () (inferior-slime-mode t)))
> ;; Optionally, specify the lisp program you are using. Default is "lisp"
> (setq inferior-lisp-program "clisp")
>

> .slime.lisp is just:
> (load "C:/jat/site/slime/swank-loader.lisp")
> (swank::create-swank-server 4005)

Both SLIME and CLISP have changed a bit since I originally wrote those
instructions. First of all, you can get rid of the .slime.lisp file
(that was a work-around at the time I wrote the blog entries). Second,
you can probably get by with just the following:

  (add-to-list 'load-path "C:/jat/site/slime")
  (setq inferior-lisp-program "C:/path/to/clisp.exe -I")
  (require 'slime)
  (slime-setup)

I don't use Windows much anymore (and never for lisp these days), so I
can't confirm that this will work, but it should.

Good luck!

--
Bill Clementson