[slime-devel] Re: Small fixes

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Thu Nov 23 23:13:25 UTC 2006

* Antonio Menezes Leitao [2006-11-23 14:00+0100] writes:

> If I'm allowed to vote, I vote for presenting just the defsetf because
> it's the form that allows you to write (setf (mycar ...)  ...) in the
> first place.  In your example, mycar is also a defined function but,
> for defsetf purposes, that's irrelevant.  As a result, it shouldn't be
> presented as relevant.  But that's just my opinion and I will not be
> bothered if you choose to implement it the way as you seem to prefer.

I committed the change for slime-in-expression-p but left
slime-edit-definition as it was, because:

 - the current code to extract the context incomplete (and most
   likely buggy)

 - only a few backends return something sensible for (setf NAME)

 - different people have different expectations what the proper
   context is

I think our current strategy is not only simpler to implement but also
more predictable.  If you don't like that decision, than you can rebind
the M-. key to your version with very few lines of code.