[slime-devel] Re: Documentation project

Marco Baringer mb at bese.it
Wed Nov 15 17:19:01 UTC 2006

(fwiw i never got the original mail)

Jeffrey Cunningham <jeffrey at cunningham.net> writes:

> On Tue Nov 14, 2006 at 08:07:59PM -0800, Jeffrey Cunningham wrote:
>> Before I get too far along here, I thought I'd see if I'm on the right
>> track. I've attached a pdf I produced after working on the
>> documentation for the last few days.
>>
>> The biggest additions are two Appendices: a key-bindings index and a
>> function index. Entries in both these are linked to anchors where the
>> functions are discussed.

it'd be nice if there were per-mode keybinding indices, how hard is
this to do?

>> I've added a number of undocumented functions and in the process found
>> it difficult to stick to the exact way they were grouped before. So I
>> took the liberty of re-arranging some of the subsections slightly and
>> adding a couple more.

looks good to me.

>> Some of the functions have no descriptions - I didn't understand these
>> well enough to describe them myself. I will leave these to others to
>> document, but the placeholders will be there.

good idea. if there's any empty place holder maybe someone will come
along and fix it, if it's not even mentioned that's not goingto
happen.

>> I am planning on finishing adding all the functions which are
>> accessible directoy, adding a lot more cross-links to anchors, and
>> also more examples.
>>
>> I assume there is no reason to document internal functions (or is
>> there?)

none that i can think of and i would only confuse new users (the
people most likely to read the manual).

>> Feedback would be helpful.

good work!

--