[slime-devel] Question on Downloading and installing SLIME to EMACS

Luca Capello luca at pca.it
Wed Nov 15 16:49:08 UTC 2006

Hello!

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 15:21:17 +0100, Brian Jones wrote:
> Hello, I am trying to download and install the latest version of
> SLIME into emacs. The operating system I am running is Ubuntu Linux.

As you're using Ubuntu, you could grab the latest SLIME/Emacs packages,
using your favorite package manager.

As I never used Ubuntu, I searched on Google and found that SLIME
seems to be present only on edgy and feisty [1].  Moreover, the
version is dated back to 20060925, so it's actually not the real
latest upstream version [2].

> My second question deals with the installation process. As I've said
> before I am running Ubuntu Linux and I was wondering how I would
> find the path to my lisp system and the path to my slime
> directory. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

In case of packaged SLIME/Emacs, you just need to set the Emacs
`inferior-lisp-program' variable to your preferred Common Lisp
implementation (in case you have more than one installed, otherwise
the unique one is automatically chosen).  Then starting SLIME on Emacs
with M-x slime will do the rest.

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca

Footnotes:
[1] http://packages.ubuntu.com/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=slime&searchon=names&subword=1&version=all&release=all
[2] this is mainly because Debian is near a release and thus packages
    aren't updated as frequent as during a normal development cycle
    (except to solve release critical bugs)