[slime-devel] Question on Downloading and installing SLIME to EMACS

Jeffrey Cunningham jeffrey at cunningham.net
Wed Nov 15 14:37:38 UTC 2006

On Wed Nov 15, 2006 at 06:21:17AM -0800, Brian Jones wrote:
> Hello, I am trying to download and install the latest version of SLIME into emacs. The operating system I am running is Ubuntu Linux. To configure the CVSROOT, would I type this command (export CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous at common-lisp.net:/project/slime/cvsroot) in the bash terminal? Would I log in the same way with the password "anonymous"?
>
> My second question deals with the installation process. As I've said before I am running Ubuntu Linux and I was wondering how I would find the path to my lisp system and the path to my slime directory. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes to the first. You can basically cut and paste the strings on the
web page into an xterm and it will run (after you log in).

For the second, at a Bash prompt, type "which lisp" or clisp or
whatever the executable is called.

Slime will be wherever you were when you grabbed it from CVS. CVS will
create a directory called "slime" in your current directory. If that's
not where you wanted it, move it - it doesn't care.

-Jeff