[slime-devel] Re: macroexpand window

Giorgos Pontikakis gnp at freemail.gr
Tue Nov 14 18:09:12 UTC 2006

Hello,

"Attila Lendvai" <attila.lendvai at gmail.com> writes:

>> 1. In emacs, let's say I have two open windows in the same frame. The
>>    first is the REPL and the second some lisp file. When I macroexpand
>>    an expression with C-c RET, say from the REPL, the result of the
>>    macroexpansion appears in the window with the lisp file. Up to...
>
> i've fixed it to handle these situations better. hopefully the version at
>
> darcs get --partial http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cl-wdim/darcs/slime/
>
> will satisfy all requirements. not tested it throughly yet, but it
> seems to handle well all the cases i could think of: always closes the
> temp buffer window if it was opened by temp buffer activation and the
> window config haven't changed since then.

I did not expect that this had to do with the completion patches.
I'll try your latest version from your darcs repository and let you
know if I still notice anything that troubles me.

> these will eventually reach the official repo when i squeeze the time
> to send cvs diffs and someone applies them.
>
>> 2. I recently read in this list about some fuzzy completion patches. I
>>    thought that those just added new behaviour and I could use the old
>>    behaviour. But either I got a false impression or I cannot find the
>>    correct settings. Again, how can I revert to the old behaviour?
>
> when slime-fuzzy-completion-in-place is nil (the default in the
> official cvs) then the fuzzy stuff should behave mostly like before.
> but we use it with slime-fuzzy-completion-in-place enabled.
>
> we did our best to make the gui more user friendly, but
> user-friendlyness is a subjective thing. what specifically do you find
> annoying (other then the unavoidable (hopefully) short-time annoyance
> coming from any change in the behaviour)?

Well, it is a minor thing but, when the completion list appears, the
source window is not updated with the first applicable completion like
it used to.

I really liked this, especially combined with one little addition by
Antonio Menezes Leitao in a post here from 8 May 2006, which enabled
me to press space to confirm the completion, add the space in the
source window and keep on writing. Most of the time, I did not even
move my eyes from the source window -- I looked at the completions
window only if the first completion was not what I intended to type in.

Anyway, I'll try to evaluate slime-fuzzy-completion-in-place a bit
more and see if I can provide you with any feedback. Don't expect code
for the time being :-) I am just learning Common Lisp and I know next
to nothing about Emacs-Lisp. Should I contact you personally? I have
the impression that I am just adding noise here and I would not like
to further annoy the mailing list.

> hth,
>
> --
> - attila

Thank you very much for you answer, and thank you everybody for slime.

Best regards,
-- Giorgos