[slime-devel] Clicking on objects

Dan Weinreb dlw at itasoftware.com
Fri Nov 3 14:02:58 UTC 2006

There's something I've been wondering about.  In Slime,
in the REPL buffer, you can click on a presentation,
and the thing you click on gets inserted into the
buffer.  So this is really nice when some object
that does not have a readable printed representation
gets printed.

But you can also use it for things that DO have
a readable printed representation, such as a
list of fixnums.

So far so good, but the problem is that the
semantics of these two cases are different,
because in the first case Lisp sees the object
itself, whereas in the second case Lisp reads
and evaluates the object.  No eval in the
first case, eval in the second case.  The
fact that the command does something different
for these two cases makes it confusing for me.

Does this bother anyone else?

I would like it better if, in the second case,
it inserted a quote, so that the semantics
was always the same.  (You could always go
back and delete the quote if you really want
evaluation.)