[slime-devel] Re: REPL-specific printer control variables

Nikodemus Siivola nikodemus at random-state.net
Wed May 24 18:36:03 UTC 2006

"Robert J. Macomber" <slime at rojoma.com> writes:

> Well, code I write at the REPL, inasmuch as it assumes anything at
> all, will be assuming "default values" or "the values I just setf'd"
> for the printer control things.  This is quick throwaway code, not
> production stuff, or it'd go in a file and use w-s-i-s.  Anyway, the
> point is, these things sometimes -- frequently enough that I got
> sufficiently annoyed by it to write the patch -- will return a value
> I'm not interested in but which takes a lot of space to print (this
> happens pretty often when doing a quick image-manipulation with cl-gd
> at the repl).  It's just a way to keep myself from kicking myself and
> saying "idiot, you should've returned nil or (values) or something so
> you wouldn't lose so much visual context".

Let me get this straight: what goes wrong if you set *PRINT-LEVEL*,
or *PRINT-LENGTH* appropriately?

Btw: for image manipulation stuff setting *PRINT-ARRAY* to NIL
will probably do what you want.

>>  2. If this really really must go in, please let us make it
>>     *PRESENTATION-PRINT-ALIST* instead, and use a PROGV:
>
> Ok.  New version attached.

I'll defer to the public opinion once it makes itself heard. ;-)

Cheers,

  -- Nikodemus              Schemer: "Buddha is small, clean, and serious."
                   Lispnik: "Buddha is big, has hairy armpits, and laughs."