[slime-devel] BREAK in Lisp-mode buffers with OpenMCL

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Sat Jun 24 19:43:24 UTC 2006

* graham at gorgeous.org [2006-06-24 20:33+0200] writes:

> If I do the same thing from the REPL, I get the Slime debugger.  I
> think I should get the Slime debugger in Lisp-mode as well.  Obviously
> calling BREAK directly is not very useful, but when I insert
> breakpoints in functions by means of calls to BREAK I get the same
> behaviour.  The behaviour depends on where the function is called, not
> on where it was compiled.

To enforce the Slime debugger you could use swank:simple-break instead
of break.

I don't use OpenMCL myself, but after reading the code in
swank-openmcl.lisp I'd say that BREAK invokes the Slime debugger only
if it is called in the REPL thread.  There's even a variable
*break-in-sldb* to customize this a bit.  We should probably add one
more option so that sldb is invoked in all threads.  If a OpenMCL user
posts a patch for that, I will gladly commit it.