[slime-devel] asdf-install kills slime

Harald Hanche-Olsen hanche at math.ntnu.no
Sun Jun 18 13:25:48 UTC 2006

+ Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche at math.ntnu.no>:

| I figure the problem is with the debugger trying to print a string
| containing binary data, and somehow not using the UTF-8 encoding to
| do it.

But if so, one might think that the following test would have the same
effect, but it doesn't.

(error (make-string 1 :initial-element (code-char #x81)))

This version of the test, however ...

(let ((x (make-string 128)))
  (loop for i below 128 do
       (setf (char x i) (code-char (+ 128 i))))
  (error x))

... produced the following message in the minibuffer on the first
attempt:  (I fished it out of the *Messages* buffer afterwards)

; pipelined request... (swank:listener-eval "(let ((x (make-string 128)))
		  (loop for i below 128 do
		       (setf (char x i) (code-char (+ 128 i))))
		  (error x))
")

and on the second attempt, it again killed sbcl and emacs when I
selected the restart 0 (abort slime request).

This ought to be easier to reproduce and debug than my asdf-install
example.

Oh, I forgot to mention my OS earlier:  MacOS X 10.4.6.

- Harald