[slime-devel] REPL directory and package stacks

Taylor R Campbell campbell at mumble.net
Fri Jul 14 17:39:11 UTC 2006

In a fresh SLIME instance, the following sequence of commands will
leave the REPL in the CL-USER package, rather than the FOO package:

  ,change-package foo
  ,push-package bar
  ,pop-package

This is because the bottom of the package stack is always the initial
package in which SLIME starts up; the first ,PUSH-PACKAGE doesn't save
the current package, but rather pushes the *new* package onto the
stack, so FOO is forgotten.  I'd expect that the package stack would
be a stack of the packages that were current before ,PUSH-PACKAGE
commands; is there a reason that it is not so?  (The same goes for the
directory stack.)

If not, I've put a reimplementation of the relevant functions and REPL
shortcuts at <http://paste.lisp.org/display/22487> with the behaviour
that I expected (and a couple other folks too).