[slime-devel] OpenGL Integration into the REPL ?

Brad Beveridge brad.beveridge at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 16:52:58 UTC 2006

On 13/07/06, Helmut Eller <heller at common-lisp.net> wrote:
> * Sean Charles [2006-07-13 09:44+0200] writes:
>
> > I have spent a few hours reading the SWANK code trying to see where I
> > can make changes but I am just to new to it, I have used SLIME but
> > never before had a need to modify it and right now it looks a bit
> > intimidating to try and figure out how to do what I would like to do
> > which is basically find a way to make the OpenGL timer function and
> > the display function both to 'keep the SWANK backend alive' by
> > somehow calling whatever is needed to ensure that the SLIME session
> > remains active at the same time as my OpenGL application is running.
>
> Since use are on a Mac, you probably use the :fd-handler communication
> style.  Perhaps you can arrange things so that a OpenGL timer calls
> SB-SYS:SERVE-ALL-EVENTS.  This will then (hopefully) invoke SWANK's
> fd-handlers if there is some input from Emacs.
>
> Helmut.

Do you have your heart set on using GLUT?  A while ago I wrote some
CFFI bindings for GLFW, (http://glfw.sourceforge.net/) which I ought
to have around somewhere if you'd like them.  From memory, GLFW
doesn't require that you give up the main loop, at the expense of
slightly more manual input handling.
Of course, I'm assuming that "GLUT stealing the main loop" is actually
the issue.  I'm on an intel mac as well.

Cheers
Brad

--
Go and see "An Inconvenient Truth"