[slime-devel] Re: (code-char 256), connections dies with 256

Florian Ebeling florian.ebeling at gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 16:27:35 UTC 2006

> > when I enter (code-char 256) in the repl, it dies, and in the minibuffer
> > emacs says: Lisp connection died unexpectedly; exit code 256
> > (to that tune).
> >
> > Using sbcl 0.9.8.0-1ubuntu3
> > and slime HEAD from cvs on Linux 2.6.15-27-686.
>
> Do you have
>
>   (setq slime-net-coding-system 'utf-8-unix)

That's actually the key. The new sbcl uses the
long char name, which consists only of safe
letters.

When I made it return a string containing the
A-with-macro, the connection died again.

Setting slime-net-coding-system yields
the correct result, then.

I guess the packaged slimes look after what
the host system uses for encoding and adapts,
only I use cvs HEAD.

Error message would be nicer, though.

Thanks for figuring to everybody!

Florian