[slime-devel] Re: slime doesn't handle spaces in inferior-lisp-program ?

Nikodemus Siivola nikodemus at random-state.net
Wed Dec 13 17:32:01 UTC 2006

"André" <erdna123 at gmail.com> writes:

> My setup is.
>
> (setq inferior-lisp-program "C:/Program Files/Steel Bank Common
> Lisp/1.0/sbcl.exe")
> (add-to-list 'load-path "C:/Program Files/Emacs/site-lisp/slime-2.0")
> (require 'slime)
> (slime-setup)
>
> When I execute M-x slime I get the error message "Spawning child
> process: invalid argument". Experimenting a bit, I found that:
>
> (file-exists-p inferior-lisp-program) returns t
> (set-variable 'explicit-shell-file-name inferior-lisp-program) + M-x
> shell will get me a SBCL "shell".
>
> After moving SBCL to c:\sbcl and changing my config to  (setq
> inferior-lisp-program "C:/sbcl/sbcl.exe") I tried M-x slime again and
> everything worked fine!
>
> I've been looking through the slime source (both 2.0 and the latest
> snapshot) and the split-string calls in slime-read-interactive-arg
> sure looks suspicious.
>
> Is this a known issue?

Yes and no. I've heard of people having trouble with spaces in inferior-lisp-program
name, but I don't recall seeing a proper bugreport -- so thanks!

By the way: assuming you installed SBCL with the .msi installer, you can
use

 (setq inferior-lisp-program "sbcl")

as a workaround for now, as SBCL should be in PATH.

Cheers,

  -- Nikodemus              Schemer: "Buddha is small, clean, and serious."
                   Lispnik: "Buddha is big, has hairy armpits, and laughs."