[slime-devel] Re: Console raw during a SLIME session

Sean Charles sean.charles at objitsu.com
Sat Dec 9 09:06:54 UTC 2006

> I think, that on SBCL/MacOS it should work if you start SBCL in the
> terminal, load and start the Swank server from there, and connect to
> it from Emacs with `M-x slime-connect'. SB-SYS:*TTY* should then hold
> the stream to the terminal in raw mode. This way you still need to
> switch windows, but at least you get proper terminal emulation.
>
> Helmut.

Helmut, great advice again!   I am still a relative newbie with Lisp and
SLIME, and it never ocurred to me that I could manually start the swank
backend from a terminal, having become lazy thanks to the wonderful
state-of-the-art GU called Emacs. LOL ;-)

So, my procedure is now:

1. open an xterm, issue 'stty cbreak'
2. $ sbcl
3. * (load "swank-loader.lisp")
4. * (swank:create-server)
5. Start Emacs+SLIME
6. M-x slime-connect, accepting the defaults.

and away I go... now I have all the benfits of SLIME+Emacs and I can
test the actual application in the console window by calling the entry
point there. It's a great way to be working, I knew there was room for
improvement.

Thanks again guys,
Great list!
:-)