[slime-devel] Re: How to debug a crash?

Harald Hanche-Olsen hanche at math.ntnu.no
Mon Dec 4 10:43:31 UTC 2006

+ Nikodemus Siivola <nikodemus at random-state.net>:

| Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche at math.ntnu.no> writes:
|
| > I should mention that the file in question contains some nonstandard
| > lisp syntax.  I have a reader macro that reads in something like
| > @2006-12-03 and converts it to a date.  But of course, this is
| > harmless if read with standard syntax:  It just becomes another symbol.
|
| If you remove the read-macro, do things still break? (Not in the sense
| of removing @2006-12-03 strings, but in the sense of removing the
| read-macro itself.)

Yes.  To be more precise, it happens whether or not I have loaded the
file that defines the read-macro (it's in a different file than the
toxic one).

I notice also that I could be more precise about what I mean by
editing the file: Just visiting it is harmless.  It is only when I
start modifying it that the crash happens.  It seems to be independent
of the actual location within the file.  (And the full pathname to the
file contains only ASCII characters, in case that matters.  Oh, and
the file is latin-1 encoded, though I am using UTF-8 in my slime
setup. It is of course read using :external-format :latin1 when my own
programs open it for reading.)

- Harald