[slime-devel] Re: Unimplemented features in SLIME

Nikodemus Siivola nikodemus at random-state.net
Thu Aug 24 16:44:02 UTC 2006

Jonathon McKitrick <jcm at FreeBSD-uk.eu.org> writes:

> If SLIME is closely bound to SBCL, when will the features like who-calls and
> who-references, along with single-stepping, be supported?  Or will they?

Slime is not "closely bound to SBCL", but to answer the question:

 * SBCL's XREF is almost nonexistent ATM, so WHO-FOO stuff is unlikely
   to happen "soon". If I had to guess, I'd say sometime next year.
   Once SBCL has the good, Slime support is easy, as the machinery
   already exists.

   (However, if someone is willing to fund work on SBCL XREF, feel free
    to contact me.)

 * STEP is implemented in SBCL, and the API is even designed with an
   eye towards alternative UIs (like Slime). The Slime side I'm not
   sure about -- there have been some tentative patches, but nothing
   has AFAIK been really merge ready yet.

   (Currently using STEP in the REPL in Slime doesn't really work
    either with multithreaded SBCL, but that is easy to fix: just
    change the declaim on top of swank-sbcl.lisp to (debug 1).)

Cheers,

  -- Nikodemus              Schemer: "Buddha is small, clean, and serious."
                   Lispnik: "Buddha is big, has hairy armpits, and laughs."