[slime-devel] indentation customization in .emacs file in Lispbox 0.7 overriding a SLIME setting?

Taylor R. Campbell campbell at mumble.net
Tue Apr 18 18:53:57 UTC 2006

   Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 20:00:50 +0200 (CEST)
   From: Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche at math.ntnu.no>

   I must disagree.  Users aren't supposed to know the name of modes'
   keymaps:  The recommended method of making your own bindings for a
   given mode is precisely to use local-set-key in a mode hook.

Indeed?  I've always just used the modes' key maps.  Is this explained
in any part of the Emacs or elisp manuals?  In the Info node `Major
Mode Conventions', the elisp manual says that the key map should be
stored permanently in a global variable named `MODENAME-mode-map', so
it seems to me that this is meant for users to exploit.

   Is the problem here that slime-mode-map is the current local keymap
   when slime-repl-mode runs lisp-mode-hook?  If lisp-mode-map were the
   local keymap at that point instead, then local-set-key would modify
   lisp-mode-map.  Later, it is safe to make slime-repl-mode-map the
   local map.  It will then shadow lisp-mode-map, and nobody is surprised
   (too much).

Hmmm.  Actually, I can't reproduce the behaviour observed by Kelvin
Wu, though I'm using GNU Emacs, not XEmacs.  I wonder what C-h c RET
says when in the SLIME REPL.