[slime-devel] indentation customization in .emacs file in Lispbox 0.7 overriding a SLIME setting?

Harald Hanche-Olsen hanche at math.ntnu.no
Tue Apr 18 18:00:50 UTC 2006

+ "Taylor R. Campbell" <campbell at mumble.net>:

| The way you're setting up key bindings is a little weird.

I must disagree.  Users aren't supposed to know the name of modes'
keymaps:  The recommended method of making your own bindings for a
given mode is precisely to use local-set-key in a mode hook.

| Locally set key bindings will shadow any others, I believe, and
| since the SLIME REPL uses a mode that runs lisp-mode-hook you're
| defining a key binding that will always shadow `slime-repl-return'.

Is the problem here that slime-mode-map is the current local keymap
when slime-repl-mode runs lisp-mode-hook?  If lisp-mode-map were the
local keymap at that point instead, then local-set-key would modify
lisp-mode-map.  Later, it is safe to make slime-repl-mode-map the
local map.  It will then shadow lisp-mode-map, and nobody is surprised
(too much).

I don't have the time to read the code carefully right now, so I
haven't managed to discover how slime-repl-mode ends up running
lisp-mode-hook (if that is what you are saying).  If I did, I might be
able to suggest a solution.

- Harald