[slime-devel] Setting browse-url-browser-function

Stephen Compall s11 at member.fsf.org
Thu Apr 6 16:55:26 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 07:09 -0800, Tim Johnson wrote:
> (setq browse-url-browser-function "fire-fox")
> ;; where fire-fox is a simple script that I use to launch firefox
> ;; on my RH Linux 9.0 maching

Emacs is a self-documenting editor.  C-h v browse-url-browser-function
for all you could possibly want.  For example, mine is the symbol
w3m-browse-url.

Here is what I used to use; I copied it from another browse-url
function; edit as necessary.  Note it is not very robust.  The current
Emacs development includes a `browse-url-firefox' that is much better
all around.

(defun s11-browse-url-firefox (url &optional new-window-ignore)
  (interactive (browse-url-interactive-arg "URL: "))
  (while (string-match "[,)$]" url)
    (setq url (replace-match
               (format "%%%x" (string-to-char (match-string 0 url))) t t
url)))
  (call-process "/usr/bin/mozilla-firefox" ;firefox on my system
                nil 0 nil "-remote" (format "openURL(%s,new-tab)" url)))

--
Stephen Compall
http://scompall.nocandysw.com/blog