[slime-devel] weak-p hash tables required for cmucl?

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Tue Sep 27 22:31:06 UTC 2005

* Raymond Toy [2005-09-25 23:52+0200] writes:

> Just want to know if weak-p hash tables are required for cmucl?  When
> using slime with cmucl on Mac OS X, there's a note about that because
> weak-p hash-tables only exist on platforms with gencgc support (x86,
> solaris).

I think it's not required.  The weak hash tables are used to remember
the results in the REPL and for presentations.  Non-weak hash tables
should work instead, but aren't as nice, because the tables are never
cleared and the recorded objects could be pretty big.

You can enable/disable the stuff with swank:*record-repl-results*.

So, I think the default hash tables are good enough as long as
swank-cmucl.lisp can be compiled without aborting.