[slime-devel] Re: SLIME48: a Swank back end in Scheme48

Luke Gorrie luke at synap.se
Mon Sep 19 11:37:07 UTC 2005

Alan Ruttenberg <alanr-l at mumble.net> writes:

> Just a note of support for the general idea of incorporating Taylor's
> extension.

I like the idea too. I fired up SLIME48 and was impressed that it did
so much stuff without even one line of change in slime.el. Very good!
(Didn't handle my ~/.slime-secret though :-)

I sympathise with Helmut too. He is the main one who has been making
fixes across lots of different backends instead of just living in one.
>From my lazy point of view it's just to use the CMUCL backend and
benefit from the portable features that are being added by everybody.

I have one idea about cutting down noise in CVS if it becomes a
problem: We could move the Scheme code into a new top-level swank48/
directory and add an entry in CVSROOT/modules called 'slime48' to
checkout slime/ and swank48/. Just if the CL people tire of seeing
scheme files in 'cvs update'.