[slime-devel] Problems with AllegroCL and completion

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Mon Oct 10 08:14:06 UTC 2005

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 01:49:07 +0200, Edi Weitz <edi at agharta.de> wrote:

> Today I noticed that there seem to be significant problems with
> AllegroCL (I'm using 7.0 pro on both Windows and Linux) and
> completion.  SLIME is current from CVS.
>
> For me the problem is reproducible like that:
>
>   1. The TAB key is bound to slime-indent-and-complete-symbol.
>
>   2. In the REPL buffer type, say,
>
>      (use-package :d
>
>   3. Now, with the cursor after the "d" type TAB several times in a
>      row very fast.
>
> This suffices to completely trash everything for me.  On Windows,
> Emacs goes up to 60% CPU usage and doesn't react anymore, on Linux
> AllegroCL goes up to 95% CPU usage.

I tried to debug this myself this morning and haven't really found
anything yet.  However, SLIME's (or maybe AllegroCL's) behaviour at
the moment is really erratic and makes it kind of hard to work with
it.

For example, all of the stuff below happened in the SLIME REPL buffer
without the SLIME debugger popping up and without me typing anything
in between:

  Warning: stream-unread-char: ignoring #\null (expected #\:)
  Previous error: An allocation request for 268435480 bytes caused a
                       need for 536870912 more bytes of heap. The
                       operating system will not make the space available
                       because the address space reserved for the heap
                       could not be increased.
  [Current process: repl-thread]
  [1] CL-USER(7): :pop

  Warning: stream-unread-char: ignoring #\null (expected #\:)

  Error: An allocation request for 268435480 bytes caused a need for
         536870912 more bytes of heap. The operating system will not make
         the space available because the address space reserved for the
         heap could not be increased.
    [condition type: STORAGE-CONDITION]

  Restart actions (select using :continue):
   0: Abort handling SLIME request.
   1: Abort entirely from this (lisp) process.
  [Current process: new-repl-thread]
  [1] CL-USER(1):

  Error: An allocation request for 536870936 bytes caused a need for 1610612736 more bytes of heap. The operating system will not make the space available because the address space reserved for the heap could not be increased.
    [condition type: STORAGE-CONDITION]

  Restart actions (select using :continue):
   0: Return to sldb level 2.
   1: Abort reading input from Emacs.
   2: Return to Debug Level 1 (an "abort" restart).
   3: Abort handling SLIME request.
   4: Abort entirely from this (lisp) process.
  [Current process: new-repl-thread]
  [2] CL-USER(2):

  Error: An allocation request for 536870936 bytes caused a need for 1610612736 more bytes of heap. The operating system will not make the space available because the address space reserved for the heap could not be increased.
    [condition type: STORAGE-CONDITION]

  Restart actions (select using :continue):
   0: Abort reading input from Emacs.
   1: Return to Debug Level 2 (an "abort" restart).
   2: Return to sldb level 2.
   3: Abort reading input from Emacs.
   4: Return to Debug Level 1 (an "abort" restart).
   5: Abort handling SLIME request.
   6: Abort entirely from this (lisp) process.
  [Current process: new-repl-thread]
  [3] CL-USER(3):

  Error: An allocation request for 536870936 bytes caused tenuring and a need for 413401088 more bytes of heap. The operating system will not make the space available because the address space reserved for the heap could not be increased.
    [condition type: STORAGE-CONDITION]

  Restart actions (select using :continue):
   0: Abort reading input from Emacs.
   1: Return to Debug Level 3 (an "abort" restart).
   2: Abort reading input from Emacs.
   3: Return to Debug Level 2 (an "abort" restart).
   4: Return to sldb level 2.
   5: Abort reading input from Emacs.
   6: Return to Debug Level 1 (an "abort" restart).
   7: Abort handling SLIME request.
   8: Abort entirely from this (lisp) process.
  [Current process: new-repl-thread]
  [4] CL-USER(4):

  Error: An allocation request for 536870936 bytes caused tenuring and a need for 413401088 more bytes of heap. The operating system will not make the space available because the address space reserved for the heap could not be increased.
    [condition type: STORAGE-CONDITION]

  Restart actions (select using :continue):
    0: Abort reading input from Emacs.
    1: Return to Debug Level 4 (an "abort" restart).
    2: Abort reading input from Emacs.
    3: Return to Debug Level 3 (an "abort" restart).
    4: Abort reading input from Emacs.
    5: Return to Debug Level 2 (an "abort" restart).
    6: Return to sldb level 2.
    7: Abort reading input from Emacs.
    8: Return to Debug Level 1 (an "abort" restart).
    9: Abort handling SLIME request.
   10: Abort entirely from this (lisp) process.
  [Current process: new-repl-thread]
  [5] CL-USER(5):
  Warning: stream-unread-char: ignoring #\null (expected #\Newline)

  [Current process: new-repl-thread]
  [1] CL-USER(5):

  Error: An allocation request for 536870936 bytes caused tenuring and a
         need for 413401088 more bytes of heap. The operating system will
         not make the space available because the address space reserved
         for the heap could not be increased.
    [condition type: STORAGE-CONDITION]

  Restart actions (select using :continue):
   0: Abort reading input from Emacs.
   1: Return to Debug Level 1 (an "abort" restart).
   2: Abort handling SLIME request.
   3: Abort entirely from this (lisp) process.
  [Current process: new-repl-thread]
  [2] CL-USER(6):