[slime-devel] problems with slime CVS and xemacs 21.4.15

Helmut Eller e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at
Sun Mar 27 18:37:21 UTC 2005

Nathan Froyd <froydnj at cs.rice.edu> writes:

> I'm running XEmacs 21.4.15 on OS X 10.3.8.  I just updated my Slime
> to the newest, shiniest CVS version (from 1.0 or so), only to find out
> that it won't work with my XEmacs.  Near as I can tell, it's because
> my XEmacs isn't MULE-ized ({make,find}-coding-system do not exist) and
> Slime really wants MULE or some semblance thereof to operate.  I
> assume then that Slime does not support non-MULE emacsen...is this a
> correct assumption?

The assumption is correct, but it's not much work to remove any
dependency on those functions.  It should suffice, to provide dummy
functions for find-coding-system and check-coding-system which return
true for 'binary, and maybe a (if (fboundp 'set-process-coding-system))
in slime-open-stream-to-lisp.

I can't try a non-mule version myself, because the Debian "nomule"
versions still have find-coding-system.  Also, if I configure CVS
XEmacs with --disable-mule, I still get find-coding-system as a
built-in function.