[slime-devel] Re: Important bug fix in CVS Emacs ...

Lawrence Mitchell wence at gmx.li
Wed Mar 16 10:00:27 UTC 2005

Peter Seibel wrote:

[...]

> Yeah. I usually do make extraclean and then build the installer in the
> mac directory. But last night I noticed that even after a 'make
> extraclean' there were still .elc files around. So I reconfigured and
> did 'make maintainer-clean' and then rebuilt. Now the animation seems
> to be fixed for me too.

The reason things weren't working after a make && make install is
that the change was to animate.el.  By default, make /doesn't/
recompile .el files that are newer than .elc ones when building
unless they are to be dumped with emacs (it only updates the
temacs binary and redumps).  In order to make sure that .el files
are recompiled the recommended build incantations are:

[checkout emacs]
./configure --options

make bootstrap
make
make install

[update emacs]
make
cd lisp && make recompile
cd .. && make install

There are more detailed instructions in INSTALL.CVS

Lawrence
--
Lawrence Mitchell <wence at gmx.li>