[slime-devel] Re: Maxima+Slime?

Marco Baringer mb at bese.it
Thu Jun 2 23:34:59 UTC 2005

C Y <smustudent1 at yahoo.com> writes:

> --- Marco Baringer <mb at bese.it> wrote:
>
>> C Y <smustudent1 at yahoo.com> writes:
>>
>> > Has anybody here tried working with Maxima in Slime?  I have
>> > managed to figure out how to load it (start slime with sbcl, load
>> > maxima-build.lisp, then do (maxima-load) to load the fasl files)
>> > and typing (run) will start Maxima OK, but then when I tried to
>> > do load("./file.mac"); I got some kind of error (don't have exact
>> > error on this machine, but can be provided.)
>>
>> that would be very helpfull.
>
> OK, here we go:
>
> CL-USER> (run)
> Maxima 5.9.1.1cvs http://maxima.sourceforge.net
> Using Lisp SBCL 0.9.1
> Distributed under the GNU Public License. See the file COPYING.
> Dedicated to the memory of William Schelter.
> This is a development version of Maxima. The function bug_report()
> provides bug reporting information.
> (%i1) load("./unit.mac");
>
> Maxima encountered a Lisp error:
>
>  The value #<SWANK-BACKEND::SLIME-INPUT-STREAM {9006619}>
>  is not of type
>    SB-KERNEL:ANSI-STREAM.

so maxima implements its own repl which doesn't play nice with
slime. all things considered that's to be expected. you could try
starting lisp, then creating a swank server with
(swank:create-swank-server), then restoring the streams with
(revert-global-io-redirection), then starting maxima, then connecting
to the running lisp via M-x slime-connect. this may (or may not) work.

the only thing which is sure to work is to teach maxima to not rely
ansi-streams (which probably isn't a good thing to be doing anyway).

--
-Marco
Ring the bells that still can ring.