[slime-devel] Re: Maxima+Slime?

C Y smustudent1 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 2 20:34:35 UTC 2005

--- Marco Baringer <mb at bese.it> wrote:

> C Y <smustudent1 at yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > Has anybody here tried working with Maxima in Slime?  I have
> > managed to figure out how to load it (start slime with sbcl, load
> > maxima-build.lisp, then do (maxima-load) to load the fasl files)
> > and typing (run) will start Maxima OK, but then when I tried to
> > do load("./file.mac"); I got some kind of error (don't have exact
> > error on this machine, but can be provided.)
>
> that would be very helpfull.

OK, here we go:

CL-USER> (run)
Maxima 5.9.1.1cvs http://maxima.sourceforge.net
Using Lisp SBCL 0.9.1
Distributed under the GNU Public License. See the file COPYING.
Dedicated to the memory of William Schelter.
This is a development version of Maxima. The function bug_report()
provides bug reporting information.
(%i1) load("./unit.mac");

Maxima encountered a Lisp error:

 The value #<SWANK-BACKEND::SLIME-INPUT-STREAM {9006619}>
 is not of type
   SB-KERNEL:ANSI-STREAM.

Automatically continuing.
To reenable the Lisp debugger set *debugger-hook* to nil.
(%i2) a;

Maxima encountered a Lisp error:

 The value #<SWANK-BACKEND::SLIME-INPUT-STREAM {9006619}>
 is not of type
   SB-KERNEL:ANSI-STREAM.

Automatically continuing.
To reenable the Lisp debugger set *debugger-hook* to nil.
(%i3)

Actual output should look like:

Maxima 5.9.1.1cvs http://maxima.sourceforge.net
Using Lisp SBCL 0.9.1
Distributed under the GNU Public License. See the file COPYING.
Dedicated to the memory of William Schelter.
This is a development version of Maxima. The function bug_report()
provides bug reporting information.
(%i1) load("./unit.mac");
*                       Units version 0.50                        *
*          Definitions based on the NIST Reference on             *
*              Constants, Units, and Uncertainty                  *
*       Conversion factors from various sources including         *
*                   NIST and the GNU units package                *

Redefining necessary functions...
STYLE-WARNING: redefining TOPLEVEL-MACSYMA-EVAL in DEFUN
STYLE-WARNING: redefining MSETCHK in DEFUN
STYLE-WARNING: redefining KILL1 in DEFUN
STYLE-WARNING: redefining NFORMAT in DEFUN
Initializing unit arrays...
Done.
(%o1)                             ./unit.mac
(%i2) a;
(%o2)                                  a
(%i3)

> > Has anybody tried working with
> > Maxima inside SLIME?  I am definitely interested in this based on
> > limited experience working without it, but I don't know how much of
> > an ordeal it might be.
>
> afaik maxim runs inside its own repl, this could interfer with slime.

Hmm. So it might take coding up a special REPL?

Cheers,
CY