[slime-devel] Re: Handling ^M and ^H characters output from ext:run-program?

Jeff Cunningham jeffrey at cunningham.net
Fri Jul 15 21:44:44 UTC 2005

On Fri Jul 15, 2005 at 02:01:45PM -0700, GP lisper wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 04:33:26 -0700, <jeffrey at cunningham.net> wrote:
> >
> > "*STANDARD-OUTPUT* is bound to some Lisp stream maintained by SLIME,
> > attached to an Emacs buffer.   cdrecord was not designed to attach
> > to an Emacs buffer, or to anything other than a terminal (or some
> > program which emulates a terminal by understandin the control codes
> > for moving your cursor around"
> >
> > Is there a way to still embed this program call within my lisp project
> > so I can still run it in slime without this behavior?
>
> a) Check cdrecord options for a 'quiet' mode, where only the bare
> minimum is printed.  Never used it myself, but ^H^H^H^H sounds like an
> updating bar graphic designed to display progress.  You don't need it.
>
> b) expand your external system call to include a pipe into a filter.
>
> c) did someone suggest CL-PPCRE (same as 'b actually)?
>
> I've done something similar with NGREP, but I also hacked it's source
> code to get what I wanted.  CDRECORD might be clean enough for you to
> do that too.

I'll play with the verbosity - don't know why I didn't think of
that. I thought of hacking the source, but don't really want to have
to do it everytime I update cdrecord.

I've had trouble getting shell commands to run with ext:run-program
under CMUCL, so that avenue might be difficult.

I guess I don't understand (c). I use cl-ppcre all the time but how
would I capture *standard-output* from cdrecord and pipe it through
regex match?

--Jeff