[slime-devel] Re: Handling ^M and ^H characters output from ext:run-program?

GP lisper spambait at CloudDancer.com
Fri Jul 15 21:01:45 UTC 2005

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 04:33:26 -0700, <jeffrey at cunningham.net> wrote:

> "*STANDARD-OUTPUT* is bound to some Lisp stream maintained by SLIME,
> attached to an Emacs buffer.   cdrecord was not designed to attach
> to an Emacs buffer, or to anything other than a terminal (or some
> program which emulates a terminal by understandin the control codes
> for moving your cursor around"
>
> Is there a way to still embed this program call within my lisp project
> so I can still run it in slime without this behavior?

a) Check cdrecord options for a 'quiet' mode, where only the bare
minimum is printed.  Never used it myself, but ^H^H^H^H sounds like an
updating bar graphic designed to display progress.  You don't need it.

b) expand your external system call to include a pipe into a filter.

c) did someone suggest CL-PPCRE (same as 'b actually)?

I've done something similar with NGREP, but I also hacked it's source
code to get what I wanted.  CDRECORD might be clean enough for you to
do that too.

--
LOOP :: a Domain Specific Language.