[slime-devel] Re: Slime hanging on foreign function calls with Lispworks

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Tue Jul 5 20:07:28 UTC 2005

Hi Glenn!

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 19:40:02 +0000 (UTC), Glenn Ehrlich <glenn.ehrlich at specastro.com> wrote:

> (defun go-slime-lispworks ()
>   (interactive)
>   (shell-command (expand-file-name "~/bin/start_lispworks.vbs"))
>   (slime-connect "127.0.0.1" 4005))
>
> I start up emacs, M-x go-slime-lispworks, which starts up lispworks
> via this VB script:
>
> Dim Wsh
> Set Wsh = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
>
> rem Start LispWorks
> Wsh.Run("c:\lispworks\lispworks-personal-4450.exe")
>
> rem Wait for a few seconds for it to start
> WScript.Sleep(5000)
>
> rem Press the OK button on the splash screen
> Wsh.AppActivate "Upgrade LispWorks"
> Wsh.SendKeys "{ENTER}"
>
> rem Load the SLIME startup code
> rem Wsh.AppActivate "LispWorks Personal Edition 4.4.5"
> Wsh.AppActivate "Listener 1"
> str = "load " & """c:/home/glenn/bin/slime.lisp"""
> WScript.Sleep(100)
> Wsh.SendKeys (str)
> Wsh.SendKeys "{ENTER}"
> WScript.Sleep(1000)
>
> rem Toggle back to Emacs
> rem Wsh.SendKeys "%{TAB}"
>
> The above script calls my ~/bin/slime.lisp:
>
> (load "/usr/local/share/emacs/slime/swank-loader.lisp")
> (swank::create-swank-server 4005 :spawn #'swank::simple-announce-function t)
> (load "/usr/local/share/emacs/slime/present")
> (load "/home/glenn/.lispworks")

Thanks for all your tests.  But the info you give above shows that
we're not talking about the same thing, unfortunately.  I'm using the
Professional Edition of LWW and I have a custom-built console image
that I invoke directly by just setting the `inferior-lisp-program'
variable in my .emacs file.  If I start an "external" instance of a
CAPI-enabled LispWorks and connect to it using `slime-connect' like
you do I don't have FLI/CAPI problems and I never had them.

Hm, I wonder why you experienced hangs up until last week.

Thanks anyway,
Edi.