[slime-devel] Comment indentation in newer Emacsen

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Sun Jul 3 10:41:28 UTC 2005

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 08:27:45 +0100, Edi Weitz <edi at agharta.de> wrote:

> Dumb question number two for today:
>
> I've recently switched to a CVS build (circa end of January) of GNU
> Emacs on Windows.  Now, if I have a function like this in a lisp
> mode buffer
>
> (defun foo ()
>   "This is a very very very very very very very very very very very very long comment line."
>   (bar x))
>
> and press M-q within the comment string the result looks like so:
>
> (defun foo ()
>   "This is a very very very very very very very very very very
>   very very long comment line."
>   (bar x))
>
> However, in 21.3 the result looked like this
>
> (defun foo ()
>   "This is a very very very very very very very very very very
> very very long comment line."
>   (bar x))
>
> which is what I prefer.  Is this a bug or can the behaviour be
> changed with some setting that I'm missing?

FWIW, I've more or less ignored this problem for a couple of months
until I upgraded to a newer CVS build yesterday - it' still the same
and I've now sent a bug report to the Emacs maintainers.

A workaround that works for me is to have this in your .emacs file:

  (add-hook 'lisp-mode-hook
    (lambda ()
      (set (make-local-variable 'adaptive-fill-mode) nil)
      (slime-mode t)))

There is, BTW, another bug with the new fill code.  Replace (bar x)
above with an integer like 42 and press M-q - the integer will move up
one line and be located at the end of the doc string which it really
shouldn't...

Cheers,
Edi.