[slime-devel] Re: slime-display-edit-hilights

Peter Seibel peter at gigamonkeys.com
Tue Dec 20 17:16:21 UTC 2005

"Stefan Kamphausen" <skampi at gmx.net> writes:

> Hi,
>
>> Von: Peter Seibel <peter at gigamonkeys.com>

>> > Hmmm. I see his entry in the ChangeLog but I still get the
>> > highlighting in the REPL.
>>

> I think a problem that occurred this morning after updateting slime is
> connected to this.  I found a log message from Marco stating:
>
>> Got rid of message about setting up face
>> and skipping edit-hilights when in a comment.
>
> In the CVS mail archives.  I think for that you introduced the defun
> in-comment-p.  First of all I think it should be renamed to
> slime-in-comment-p and second it doesn't work on my XEmacs which has no
> syntax-ppss-function.
>
> I tried to come up with a portable solution but I know too little of
> syntax-tables and a little web research on the origins of syntax-ppss
> yielded no result for me other than that I can't find it even in the source
> of xemacs-21.5.24.

I got this message this morning from someone who noticed the use of
syntax-ppss:

  Recent FSF Emacsen offer a function `expand-in-literal' (in
  expand.el) which shows how to use `parse-partial-sexp' directly
  instead, and that code is much more portable (even to XEmacs).

I'll try and take a look at that but I don't have XEmacs to test
against so maybe you'll want to take a crack at it yourself. Or at
least look for my forthcoming patch and test it in XEmacs and let us
know how it works.

> For todays work I will remove the in-comment-p call in
> self-insert-function and I hope for some help of you guys.

Should be coming soon.

-Peter

Peter Seibel           * peter at gigamonkeys.com