[slime-devel] Unable to edit Lisp file on Aquamacs/SLIME

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Fri Dec 16 20:45:18 UTC 2005

* Ulrich Hobelmann [2005-12-15 19:24+0100] writes:

> Hi, I have one very strange problem in Aquamacs 0.9.7: I have a
> directory with Umlauts in the name, such as "Eine Ãœbung", in it a
> (Common) Lisp file.  I load the file in Aquamacs, I start SLIME, I try
> to slime-compile the file (C-c C-k).  Emacs complains:
> Coding system iso-latin-1-unix not suitable for "000067(:emacs-rex
> (swank:compile-file-for-emacs
> \"/Users/ulli/Desktop/LESD-Übung/uebung4-3.lisp\" t) nil t 4)
>
>  From then on I can't even edit the file in the Lisp file's buffer (I
>  get the same error message every time).
>
> Not sure if this is a SLIME error, or an Emacs error, but I suspect
> it's SLIME.
>
> I only use SLIME 1.2.1 (which seems the last stable one?), but maybe
> you can reproduce the error, or tell me if it's fixed in a newer
> version.

No, this isn't fixed.

As a quick workaround you can probably set
slime-translate-to-lisp-filename-function to string-make-unibyte or
something more sophisticated that uses encode-coding-string.

You could also figure out why slime-safe-encoding-p returns nil for
your filename, whether that's correct, and maybe fix it.

(Of course, the easiest is not to use umlauts in filenames, but I
guess this kind of pragmatism isn't what Apple weenies would call a
"solution".)