[slime-devel] Re: slime + sbcl problems

Christophe Rhodes csr21 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Dec 13 14:06:38 UTC 2005

xpacman+slime-devel at gmail.com writes:

> On 12/13/05, Christophe Rhodes <csr21 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>> > 1) Debian SARGE, GNU Emacs 21.4.1, SBCL 0.8.16
>> > 2) Fedora Core release 3 (Heidelberg), GNU Emacs 21.3.2, SBCL 0.8.18
>>
>> Please either use a non-ancient release of SBCL, or else use a version
>> of slime which was current at the time that your SBCL was released.
> 1) SBCL 0.8.16 is the latest version in the Debian Sarge which is the
> current stable release. And no, I can not install 'unstable' on the
> server.

You do not need to install 'unstable' on your server: just as you have
installed slime from source (because slime was not packaged for Debian
Sarge) you can install a modern sbcl from source.

> And it's only a couple of months old anyway.

SBCL 0.8.16 was released almost 14 months ago; there have been 13
upstream releases since then, including one major version increment.

> 2) How do I know which version of SLIME to install?

You can download the CVS version which was current at the time of
release using commands like
  cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at common-lisp.net:/project/slime/cvsroot login
  cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at common-lisp.net:/project/slime/cvsroot \
   co -D'2004-10-25' slime