[slime-devel] Re: structured package names?

Pascal Bourguignon pjb at informatimago.com
Wed Aug 10 07:34:51 UTC 2005

Peter Seibel writes:
> Friedrich Dominicus <frido at q-software-solutions.de> writes:

> >> this behaviour is controlled by the
> >> swank:*auto-abbreviate-dotted-packages* variable, set it to NIL in
> >> your .swank.lisp to avoid this behaviour. You will still get the
> >> 'shortest-package-nickname' though (i don't see a variable to disable
> >> even that).
>
> > thanks for the hint. I did not expect special treatment for that I did
> > not even had an idea to look after that.
>
> FWIW, I put in that feature because I believe in using long, domain
> qualified package names (a la Java packages) which means that my
> package names are always prefaced with essentially noise. I'd much
> rather see:
>
>   FOO>
>
> than:
>
>   COM.GIGAMONKEYS.FOO>
>
> when *all* my package names start with COM.GIGAMONKEYS. But the flag
> is there to turn it off if you don't like (which you probably won't if
> you use short package names that happen to contain a dot.)

The algorithm should check for the presence of several packages with
the same last part, and use more parts in these cases.

COM.GIGAMONKEYS.FOO       --->  GIGAMONKEYS.FOO
COM.INFORMATIMAGO.FOO           INFORMATIMAGO.FOO

UK.CO.SMART-SOFT.FOO      --->  UK.CO.SMART-SOFT.FOO
TW.CO.SMART-SOFT.FOO            TW.CO.SMART-SOFT.FOO

--
"Specifications are for the weak and timid!"