[slime-devel] Re: structured package names?

Peter Seibel peter at gigamonkeys.com
Wed Aug 10 06:02:38 UTC 2005

Friedrich Dominicus <frido at q-software-solutions.de> writes:

> "Marco Baringer" <mb at bese.it> writes:
>
>> Friedrich Dominicus <frido at q-software-solutions.de> writes:
>>
>>> Is that on purpose? Is it a bug, is something wrong with a foo.bar
>>> name?
>>
>> this behaviour is controlled by the
>> swank:*auto-abbreviate-dotted-packages* variable, set it to NIL in
>> your .swank.lisp to avoid this behaviour. You will still get the
>> 'shortest-package-nickname' though (i don't see a variable to disable
>> even that).

> thanks for the hint. I did not expect special treatment for that I did
> not even had an idea to look after that.

FWIW, I put in that feature because I believe in using long, domain
qualified package names (a la Java packages) which means that my
package names are always prefaced with essentially noise. I'd much
rather see:

than:

  COM.GIGAMONKEYS.FOO>

when *all* my package names start with COM.GIGAMONKEYS. But the flag
is there to turn it off if you don't like (which you probably won't if
you use short package names that happen to contain a dot.)

-Peter

Peter Seibel           * peter at gigamonkeys.com