[slime-devel] Re: SLIME via ssh?

Nicolas Neuss Nicolas.Neuss at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Apr 14 10:45:28 UTC 2005

Zach Beane <xach at xach.com> writes:

> I use ssh-agent to avoid using passwords.

I have my key authorized on the server which should give the same.

> I connect to the remote server with:
>
>    ssh -L 4005:localhost:4005 my-webserver.com

OK.

> I have an SBCL image saved with swank loaded, and I run it within
> screen. When I start the process, I run:

(screen is not there and is somewhat more complicated to install (needs
ncurses), but I installed detachtty/attachtty which seem to work well.)

>    (swank:create-server :port 4005 :dont-close t)

OK, seems to work.
* (swank:create-server :port 4005 :dont-close t)
;; Swank started at port: 4005.
; Adding fd handler: 5

4005

> Then, from within emacs, I can do:
>
>    M-x slime-connect RET 4005 RET

Here I get problems, my *Messages* buffer shows:

Connecting to Swank on port 4005..
error in process filter: let: connection failed: connection refused,
127.0.0.1, *lisp-output-stream*
error in process filter: connection failed: connection refused, 127.0.0.1,
*lisp-output-stream*

> I have also customized slime-translate-to-lisp-filename-function and
> slime-translate-from-lisp-filename-function to create and un-create
> tramp filenames as needed. M-. and C-c C-k work as expected.
>
> This setup has worked very well for me so far.
>
> Zach

Thank you, Nicolas.