[slime-devel] read strangeness in SLIME 2004-09-17/OpenMCL

Helmut Eller e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Sep 21 05:52:12 UTC 2004

mikel <mikel at evins.net> writes:

> Any suggestions where to look to track down the source of the problem?

You can set swank:*log-events* to true to see what was written to the
socket.  The log output should appear in the *inferior-lisp* buffer.
On the Emacs side you can see the log in the *slime-events* buffer.
The relevant messages for this problem are :read-string and
:emacs-return-string.  Emacs sends something like

  (:emacs-return-string 0 1 "y\n")

if you type "y RET". I think that correct.

y-or-n-p will eventually call stream-read-char in swank-gray.lisp and
(funcall input-fn) in that sends a :read-string message to Emacs.

It's also possible that y-or-n-p in OpenMCL is implemented differently
as in CMUCL, e.g. by reading character by character and not by reading
a line in as in CMUCL.  That could be a problem if OpenMCL stops
reading after the 'y' and doesn't consume the newline.

I think there are also some "read-tests" in the test suite in
slime.el. You can run the them with `M-x slime-run-tests'; not sure
how useful that is for OpenMCL though.