[slime-devel] Re: Error in function CREATE-INET-LISTENER (OS X + CMUCL)

mikel evins mikel at evins.net
Sat Sep 11 07:33:43 UTC 2004

Matthew Munz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>   I'm just getting started with SLIME and CMUCL, so any help would be really appreciated.
>
>   I set up SLIME 1.0 on a linux machine according to the manual's instructions, and M-x slime worked out-of-the-box quite nicely.  The analogous setup on OS X, however, gives me the following error.  After this point, the inferior lisp mode works fine, but slime mode does not.  A problem with the socket communication perhaps?
>
>   Could someone please help me debug this?  I think that my network interface is properly configured, but since it's my day 1 with SLIME, it's hard for me to know how to analyze this error.

In recent combinations of SLIME and CMUCL I've found it necessary to
comment out a bit of swank-cmucl.lisp. The bit in question is at line 77
of version 1.114 (the cvs version I have at the moment), and looks like
this:

(defimplementation create-socket (host port)
   (ext:create-inet-listener port :stream
                             :reuse-address t
                             :host (resolve-hostname host)))

The bit you want to comment out is:

                             :host (resolve-hostname host)

After I do that, SLIME and CMUCL cohabit nicely in recent builds of
Carbon Gnu Emacs.