[slime-devel] Re: Problem with viewing source with v from debugger

Luke Gorrie luke at synap.se
Tue Oct 19 19:03:19 UTC 2004

Peter Seibel <peter at javamonkey.com> writes:

> My problem is not that I can't view source--works fine in Allegro 6.2
> on GNU/Linux, fairly recent CVS Emacs, etc. My problem is that after
> v'ing around a few stack frames to find the code I need to fix I hit q
> in the sldb buffer to abort and the source I was just looking at
> disappears jumping me back to who know's where--probably what ever
> code my cursor was on before I evaluating whatever expression signaled
> the error. Is there any way to get the source to stay put?

You could use the marvellous Emacs "global mark ring" [*] for this:

  When you're at the source you want press `C-SPC' to set the mark and
  push it onto the global mark ring.

  After aborting SLDB and getting the old window config back, press `C-x
  C-SPC' to pop yourself back to where the place you set the mark.

Now in CVS it will automatically push the source's position onto the
global mark ring so you can always get back with `C-x C-SPC', without
having to set the mark explicitly.

(Actually due to push-mark's semantics it's only sure to get you back
to the right buffer, but maybe it's close enough. Fixable by frobbing
`global-mark-ring' by hand.)

-Luke

[*]: http://www.rons.net.cn/htp/Emacs/emacs_58.html