[slime-devel] Re: *sldb* fails to rebind printer control variables

Peter Seibel peter at javamonkey.com
Mon Oct 18 01:29:36 UTC 2004

Helmut Eller <e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at> writes:

> Edi Weitz <edi at agharta.de> writes:
>
>>   No methods applicable for generic function # with args # of classes #
>>      [Condition of type PROGRAM-ERROR]
>
> Hehe, I really botched it.
>
>> which is not very helpful. I also can't seem to find these new
>> variables you're talking about. Where are they and where am I supposed
>> to set them?
>
> The variables are created by the define-printer-variables macro and
> are concatenated from the prefix `sldb-print' and `level', `length'
> etc.  ~/.swank.lisp is probably a good place to set those variables.
>
> I wrongly had used `sldb' as prefix, but there was already a
> *sldb-level* variable which is something like 1 or 0, so you didn't
> see anything.
>
> Should be fixed now.

On a maybe related note, should there be a SLIME version of
*print-gensym*? For a while I had a small change to my local
swank.lisp to define (and use at seemingly appropriate places)
*slime-pprint-gensym* which I set to NIL in my .swank.lisp so macro
expansions would look more like real code. Your new code made that
variable obsolete--i.e. it needs to be integrated into
define-printer-variables but in the 15 seconds I spent looking at your
change I didn't see exactly what I should change to reitroduce such a
variable. At any rate, perhaps define-printer-variables shoud just go
ahead and create variables for *all* the printer control variables. It
seems that define-printer-variables doesn't define variables
corresponding to:

  *print-array*
  *print-base*
  *print-gensym*