[slime-devel] multiple connections

Andras Simon andras at renyi.hu
Mon Oct 4 08:08:48 UTC 2004

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004, Helmut Eller wrote:

> It looks like I was a to quick with "works for me". It breaks actually
> in more complicated situations.
>
> I committed various fixes for the problem.  slime-pid is now only
> needed needed for certain communication styles.

It works great, thanks!

Just two minor usablility issues:

I think that the connections buffer should go away after choosing a connection
by hitting RET, and that ,restart-inferior-lisp should reuse the REPL, just as
it does in the single connection case (now it creates a new one and there's a
dead one floating around). But these are really just quibbles.

[..]

> SBCL uses native threading and AFAIK Linux threads are actually
> processes and unix:getpid probably returns just the pid of the thread.
> At least that's my explanation for the different pids.

Probably that, and the startup script issue (as Paolo observed). So not
relying too much on pids is a good thing, I think. BTW abcl is also using
native threads, and so does acl on windows.

Andras