[slime-devel] cmucl/multiprocessing

Helmut Eller e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at
Tue May 11 12:18:20 UTC 2004

Gabor Melis <mega at hotpop.com> writes:

> After running it slime-space no longer shows the arglist. This is slime HEAD.

STARTUP-IDLE-AND-TOP-LEVEL-LOOPS is returns.  The calling thread
becomes the idle-loop, a new thread is created and a new
read-eval-print loop is executed in the new thread.

For SLIME this looks like a RPC is still in progress and SLIME
disables slime-space when there are pending requests.  This is done to
not disturb Lisp (might be problematic when SIGIO is used).
slime-space is also disabled during debugging for the same reason.

All this should only happen when you call
STARTUP-IDLE-AND-TOP-LEVEL-LOOPS from the SLIME REPL.  If you call it
in the *inferior-lisp* buffer, everything should work as usual.
Alternatively you can call `M-x slime-reset' and SLIME discards all
pending requests (and re-enables slime-space).

> Tried it under sbcl-mt. Naturally, since init-aserve-cmu need not be
>run, everything works fine. I may even use it but compilation notes
>do not work and I'd miss them very much.

Thanks for mentioning this.  I was under the impression that
compilation notes work for SBCL.  I think I can fix that.