[slime-devel] Re: Problems with Slime with CLISP on Linux

Alan Shutko ats at acm.org
Thu May 6 22:21:47 UTC 2004

Barry Fishman <barry_fishman at att.net> writes:

> Has nobody else seen these problems?

I don't think there are that many people using CLISP with SLIME.  I'm
one of them (occasionally) but I'm not using the CVS version, and the
released version works fine.

I'm not sure if your patch is the right fix, since it would break
things when you really did need a readable symbol like |a b|.

I'm not sure that CLISP's behaviour is technically correct, actually:

    22.1.3.3.1 Package Prefixes for Symbols

    Package prefixes are printed if necessary. The rules for package
    prefixes are as follows. When the symbol is printed, if it is in the
    KEYWORD package, then it is printed with a preceding colon; otherwise,
    if it is accessible in the current package, it is printed without any
    package prefix; otherwise, it is printed with a package prefix.

Maybe on clisp, we just set *print-escape* not *print-readably*?

I see this behavior came about in
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/clisp/clisp/src/io.d?r1=1.202&r2=1.203

--
Alan Shutko <ats at acm.org> - I am the rocks.
Baby conceived on back seat of car with automatic transmission