[slime-devel] Re: Package split

Helmut Eller e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Mar 9 18:33:33 UTC 2004

Peter Seibel <peter at javamonkey.com> writes:

> So I take it the idea is that the decision of whether a given piece of
> portable code should go in swank-backend or swank is determined by
> whether it is needed by the swank-<impl>. I.e. portable code used from
> the swank-<impl> files obviously has to go in swank-backend. Should
> all other non-implementation dependent code go in swank?

Yes, sounds like the natural approach to me.  The primary purpose of
the backend is to provide an interface to non-standardized
functionality, so I don't think there is much code that can be shared
between the swank-<impl> files.  Perhaps some utility functions.  The
rest will be concerned with the definition of the "protocol",
defgenerics, defconditions and defstructs.