[slime-devel] Re: Package split

Peter Seibel peter at javamonkey.com
Tue Mar 9 18:04:30 UTC 2004

Helmut Eller <e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at> writes:

> I just merged my package-split branch into the main trunk.  We have
> now a new package SWANK-BACKEND.  It is basically stand-alone and
> doesn't need the rest of SWANK.  Of course, SWANK calls functions in
> the backend.  I moved some functionality like handling of restarts and
> a lot symbol-to-string conversion to swank.lisp.  The load order is
> now:
>
>  swank-loader, swank-backend, swank-[cmucl,sbcl...], swank
>
> This means, we could define macros in the backend and use them in
> SWANK.

So I take it the idea is that the decision of whether a given piece of
portable code should go in swank-backend or swank is determined by
whether it is needed by the swank-<impl>. I.e. portable code used from
the swank-<impl> files obviously has to go in swank-backend. Should
all other non-implementation dependent code go in swank?

-Peter

Peter Seibel                                      peter at javamonkey.com