[slime-devel] Symbols in COMMON-LISP are all in UPPER CASE!

Pascal J.Bourguignon pjb at informatimago.com
Wed Jun 30 20:58:41 UTC 2004

Symbols in COMMON-LISP are all in upper case. (Yes, I know, it's a
little known fact about COMMON-LISP).  So why can't we look up them in
upper case?  Let's ignore case when completing symbols in
slime-hyperspec-lookup and everybody will be happy.

(defun slime-hyperspec-lookup (symbol-name)
  "A wrapper for `hyperspec-lookup'"
  (interactive (list (let ((completion-ignore-case t)  ;; <<<<---------
                           (symbol-at-point (slime-symbol-name-at-point)))
                       (if (and symbol-at-point
                                (intern-soft (downcase symbol-at-point)
                                             common-lisp-hyperspec-symbols))
                         symbol-at-point
                         (completing-read
                          "Look up symbol in Common Lisp HyperSpec: "
                          common-lisp-hyperspec-symbols #'boundp
                          t symbol-at-point
                          'common-lisp-hyperspec-history)))))
  (hyperspec-lookup symbol-name))

There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not
want merely because you think it would be good for him. -- Robert Heinlein