[slime-devel] SLIME User Survey

Martin Simmons martin at xanalys.com
Tue Jun 22 09:57:59 UTC 2004

  Kristian> Klaus Harbo wrote:

  Klaus> I run Lispworks on WinXP and Emacs on my OpenBSD box.  SLIME
  Klaus> occassionally provokes an error: The Lispworks debugger says 'Error in
  Klaus> thread "control-thread"', "PROCESS-WAIT called when scheduling not
  Klaus> allowed".
  >>>
  Klaus> Note that I run Lispworks on Windows XP and Emacs on my OpenBSD box.
  Klaus> I strongly suspect that the problem is related to Lispworks
  Klaus> multiprocessing.
  >>>
  >>> The error means that something is mis-using PROCESS-WAIT, but we need to know
  >>> more.  Next time it happens, please try to get a bug report including a
  >>> backtrace by using the :bug-form command.
  >>>

  >> I will do that - any help would be most welcome.
  >>

  Kristian> I have been seing the same error maybe once a day when using LispWorks
  Kristian> Personal 4.3.[67] and various slime versions from cvs over the last
  Kristian> month or two. I have not been remote controlling other lisps using slime.

  Kristian> I have mostly been doing CAPI work when this has happened, but since I
  Kristian> have done little else than CAPI work with LispWorks in this period this
  Kristian> might not be a clue.

The problem might be in SWANK::ENCODE-MESSAGE.  I assume that emacs is on the
other end of the stream, but if it fails to read fast enough then one of the
CL stream functions in SWANK::ENCODE-MESSAGE might block, which will cause the
error because this happens inside the WITHOUT-INTERRUPTS.

__Martin